Tuesday, July 26, 2005

My new favorite place on earth



... Or at least in the Tri-State area: Ocean Grove! It's cute! It has more Victorians per it's (one) square mile than any other place in the country! And lots of religious folk, too, but I'm not going to get upset about that since it means it's beach is Miami Vice-like beach bunny free (pretty much).

Started by Methodists a little before the turn of the century looking for a nice place to have their revivals, the founders picked this square mile out of all the others on the Jersey shore because it's the only mosquito free area in the whole place (added bonus!) and it's since developed into this tiny Victorian paradise. About half the people seem of the religous variety and there's a whole complex - an auditorium, bookstore, and several chapels surrounded by a little tent city (left over from the old days when everyone stayed in tents.) The other half are people who are just attracted to it's flower garden-filled charm.

I stayed at the Quaker Inn in a small (AC-less) room for $45 (!) but since all I did there was shower and sleep it was perfect for me. One day spent roaming around it's charming streets and the next spent on it's mosquito free (but not horsefly free - although there was only one that bit me the whole day) and I was set!

I'm going back here every year I've decided. And since it's 90 minutes and $11 dollars away from me, I'm probably going back lots more than once a year!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home